3.30.2010

New Book New Beach

What do you do at the beach?
I find myself getting lost in a good book.
Nothing better than natural sun light to read with. 
I read until I can bare the heat no more.
Then I go for a swim.
Let the sun dry me.
Then read some more.
There might be a sand dragon building in the mix of it all too.

The sweltering sun at the new beach Puerto Malabrigo. Not new to this world but new to mine.

My new book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie SocietyI was pretty captivated by that.

But I didn't lose focus on what's important: my husband. 
Don't lose sight on what you really need to focus on in Life.

Read, read, read.

The novel The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows came out in 2009.  My mother in-law gave it to me for Christmas.  I left it back in Utah but it arrived safely to Trujillo in a perfectly prepared package my ma-in-law sent a few weeks ago.  I finished one book I was working on (I am currently working on three...). So I started this one only a few days ago.  I am half way through and I keep telling myself to read it slower.  I want it to last a while. 

This is a true treat.  I can't recommend it highly enough to you.  The Times (London) said "Cooked perfectly a point: subtle and elegant in flavour, yet emotionally satisfying to the finish."

To give you a taste:

"Have you ever noticed that when your mind is awakened or drawn to someone new, that person's name suddenly pops up everywhere you go? My friend Sophie calls it coincidence, and Mr. Simpless, my parson friend, calls it Grace.  He thinks that if one cares deeply about someone or something new one throws a kind of energy out into the world, and "fruitfulness" is drawn in". (pg. 116)

The book is a compilation of letters which Juliet Ashton writes and receives.  It set in 1946 right after the War.  The book quotes plenty of famous authors. One who is frequented is Charles Lamb.  He is quoted saying (in response for not caring enough about nature):

"I have no passion for groves and valleys. The rooms where I was born, the furniture which has been before my eyes all my life, a book case which has followed me about like a faithful dog wherever I have moved- old chairs, old streets, squares where I have sunned myself, my old school- have I not enough, without your Mountains? I do not envy you.  I should pity you, did I not know, that the Mind will make friends of any thing." (pg. 115)

It ignites my passion for reading and deepens my longing to be a writer.  Do yourself a favor and read this book.

I am craving more good books.  Do share your favorites.


13 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this post! I so enjoy reading! Especially out in the sun, by the beach or the pool! It's perfect! I'm looking forward to that this summer!

Unfortunately, in the past month I haven't had any time to read any new books, so sadly I don't have anything to suggest of the top of my head. I may check out one of the ones you suggested though!!

Randi Gardner said...

Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger.. if you dont know it already.. Im sure you do. :) I want to go lay in the sun! I thinkI will this weekend!

As Lovers Go said...

The swan theives by elizabeth kostova. AMAZING!

Claire said...

oh i LOVE reading. I live by the sea, and have been known to sit with an ice cream when the sun comes out, with my phone on silent :)

julianne. said...

i used to never read, and now im getting into it.
i love the beach so much, i'll have tot try brining some books there this summer.<3

Unknown said...

SO strange. my mom actually picked this book up at the library a few weeks back and I've been wanting to read it ever since. thank you for the recommendation!

xxxooo

Dianne said...

seems like a good book.
i like the lomoish feel of these pictures :-)

Angelique said...

I would totally read at the beach... but I would probably be under an umbrella. I'm tanned enough naturally so I'd be totally cooked if I stayed under the sun too long.

I'd share some books but right now I'm into more of the sci-fi, paranormal fiction type books right now. You know it started after all that Twilight craze. So I expanded my reading from that.

If I find a good one along the lines of your current book, I'll definitely share it with you :]

lesapeamusings.blogspot said...

Great post girl, I especially loved it when you said you didn't lose sight of whats important: your husband, that really put it perspective for me. thhanks....''Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, a very good beach read, the characters will stay in your of mind.

Brian and Kayla said...

Winter Wheat and The Wednesday Wars are good. If you want a good classic I would recommend Cry the Beloved Country or My Antonia. My next book will be Goose Girl. I wish my husband would read with me like yours does :) Maybe someday...

Francesca said...

That looks like a good book, though my books to read list is in the 100's. I love how you changed the focus of the camera in those two photos and said, "But I didn't lose focus on what's important: my husband."
I want to be a writing too, but then again, I'm only thirteen.

MsHark said...

oh my goodness I am seriously loving your blog. Its awesome. I love reading. I will check out this book!

Right now I am reading Little Bee. I think the writing is beautiful, you may enjoy it it too.

steph
http://notjustanotherblondeinbeijing.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love reading in the sun. I don't do it as much as I use to. Good thing summers coming up. And thanks for the book recomendation.

Find Maeberry Vintage Clothing Store online at maeberryvintage.etsy.com or at our Salt Lake City, Utah location 207 East Broadway (300 South) in the lower level of Now & Again.